walkSTEM, a talkSTEM initiative, produces customized experiences in any setting that promote the development of a STEAM lens on the lived world. Designed to stimulate inquiry and spark curiosity, walkSTEM reveals the wonders of mathematics embedded in our everyday environments. walkSTEM employs diverse modes to engage audiences: live docent-led, Otocast app guided, self-guided with signage, maps or handouts, and web-based video walks. walkSTEM was developed in partnership with National Museum of Mathematics’ Founder Dr. Glen Whitney, who serves as our walkSTEM advisor.
walkSTEM experiences are FREE and available to the public:
- @Dallas Arts District (Otocast recording or docent-led)
- @Northpark Center – Art Rocks! (docent-led)
- @Youth Department of Jonsson Public Library (self-guided)
- @Dallas City Hall Plaza (self-guided)
- @Dallas Love Field
- @Girl Scout STEM Center of Excellence
walkSTEM experiences are designed for anyone from the upper elementary grades to adults.
- Students/families: join a docent-led tour, take a self-guided tour with our Oto-cast technology, visit a walkSTEM site with guiding signage.
- School Groups: use our standards-aligned resources on walkSTEM Academy to take your students on a walkSTEM experience when visiting the Dallas Arts District.
- Organizations: request a guided walkSTEM tour or contact us about creating a walkSTEM experience customized to your setting.
- Groups of 15 or more can request a FREE docent-guided tour of the Dallas Arts District. Contact walkSTEM@gmail.com
walkSTEM Academy provides FREE access to a continuously growing, standards-aligned, video collection of walkSTEM experiences and practices.
- walkSTEM Academy is a training and best-practices video library to build educator competence and confidence in applying walkSTEM principles in their own teaching practices.
- walkSTEM Academy is a model for teachers who want to take students on a walkSTEM experience of the Dallas Arts District. Click “show more” under the video to see aligned standards and suggestions for implementing the experience on your own.
- walkSTEM Academy is a resource for students and families who may not have access to live walkSTEM experiences.
walkSTEM afterschool clubs are a format for bringing the walkSTEM experience to your school community.
- walkSTEM afterschool clubs use the lived world available on school campuses or neighborhoods walkSTEM afterschool clubs engage students and teachers in developing a STEAM walk of their own to promote seeing the world through a STEAM lens.
- walkSTEM clubs are part of the walkSTEM network and will enjoy membership benefits such as sharing on talkSTEM’s social media platform.
- Facebook walkSTEM afterschool club group: a forum for sharing experiences, asking questions, and seeking advice. Started by and for teachers and administrators at schools conducting walkSTEM clubs or who are interested in starting a walkSTEM club.
walkSTEM Network includes our partner sites, supporting partners and institutions, educators and educational leadership, interested individuals. Membership benefits of the walkSTEM Network include:
- Special invitations to walkSTEM events
- Promotion of your organization’s special events on talkSTEM social media
- Networking at events that bring leaders in education together in a fun and comfortable setting
- Access to the talkSTEM social network where you can connect with others who have similar interests or needs
- Sharing of Best Practices as they relate to walkSTEM experiences or other areas
- Ongoing support and continuing dialogue with the walkSTEM community